Location Narrows, Virginia
Duration December 2010 – November 2013
The Route 61 Bridge Replacement project involved replacing a 1,200-foot bridge over the New River and Route 460 with a wider, jointless bridge for the Virginia Department of Transportation. The replacement bridge was built on drilled shaft foundations, cast-in-place concrete substructure and pre-stressed concrete girders.
Key Challenges & Project Details
- Bridge deck: 6,087 CY
- Concrete: 6,050 CY
- Reinforcing steel: 796,909 lbs
- Drainage pipe: 1,072 LF
- Asphalt paving: 1,260 tons
- Design-build project
- Phased construction to maintain two-way traffic was maintained at all times.
- Per Virginia Department of Transportation specifications, grooving services were incorporated into the project scope of work.
- FUN FACTS
- Special electrical plugs on the bridge lighting are designed to work with Narrow’s Christmas decorations.
- Each of the 140,000-pound girders had to be transported over 350 miles; taking two to three days to travel from Hampton Roads, VA.
- 2017 – Engineering Excellence Merit Award – American Council of Engineering Companies of Virginia (ACEC)
- 2016 – Transportation Engineering Award, Projects Larger than $10 Million, Design Build - Virginia Transportation Construction Alliance (VTCA)