April 16, 2013
Wagman Family Corporate Leadership Receives 2013 LSS Cornerstone Award
(York, PA) Wagman Family Corporate Leadership was honored as the 2013 recipient of the Lutheran Social Services’ (LSS) Cornerstone Award in recognition the four generations of Wagmans who share a commitment to the community.
Wagman family members representing the 3rd and 4th generations at Wagman Companies include Lisa Wagman Glezer, Mike Glezer, Joe Wagman & Rich Wagman who were recognized at the LSS Cornerstone Dinner on April 4, 2013 at the Yorktowne Hotel. Laura Kaeppeler, 2012 Miss America was the Guest Speaker. This was the 10th Anniversary of the LSS Cornerstone event which raised over $220,000 in donations and sponsorships, which is higher than previous years.
Joe Wagman, CEO of Wagman Construction, accepted the award and shared remarks. Among his remarks, Joe shared the following excerpt from his father, Francis “Bud” Wagman’s (2nd Generation) written reflections on his father George’s (1st generation) memoirs:
“George Aloysious Wagman, our Dad, was unselfish, generous, fine and self-sacrificing in his entire life to his wife and family. I shall never forget his advice on taking his place in charitable actions. On one occasion, he told me he was scarcely able to get around and attend meetings which he had scheduled and said that he hoped that I would someday take his place. I protested saying that I had all that I could do to take care of the business and my family without adding to the burden of those extra activities. He looked at me and said, “A man is not a man until he can manage his business, his own affairs and then help someone who is less fortunate than you.” I think we as a family should follow this simple philosophy.”
Wagman family members are active on local boards and committees to support non- profit organizations and provide leadership and support to companywide programs to engage Wagman employees in supporting the community with their time, talents and/or financial support. The family also manages the Wagman Corporate Community Fund which was established in 2006 to perpetuate corporate giving despite economic and business cycles. For the company’s 110th anniversary in 2012, Wagman launched an employee community matching program which was so well received; the company is continuing the program in 2013.
About the LSS Cornerstone Award
According to their website, “The LSS Cornerstone Award was established in 2004 to recognize significant contributions of philanthropy and celebrate those who are active in the philanthropic community. For 110 years, the Wagman Family has shown its devotion to the community through its actions, words and deeds.
Wagman was founded in 1902 and continues on today as a fourth generation, family-owned general contracting business headquartered in York, PA. G.A. & F.C. Wagman, Inc. is a heavy civil contractor specializing in transportation infrastructure and has grown to become a nationally recognized leader within the industry operating out of offices in Pennsylvania and Virginia. G.A. & F.C. Wagman, Inc.’s core competencies include: design-build, bridges, structures, highways, excavation, drainage, marine construction, modified concrete and geotechnical construction services. Wagman Construction, Inc. is a full service general contractor located in downtown York, PA, serving senior care, office, urban, institutional, medical and industrial markets in central Pennsylvania, Virginia & Maryland.
For more information about Wagman, please visit www.wagman.com.
For media inquiries please contact Lisa Wagman Glezer 717.577.4252
- Wagman hosts Fall Family Events in honor of Company’s 115th Anniversary
- Wagman Celebrates Ribbon Cutting of MD 404 with Governor
- Wagman Completes Transformation at DreamWrights Center for Community Arts
- Wagman Breaks Ground on Landmark Project for York Academy
- Wagman Construction Builds Innovative Penn State Health Outpatient Facility
- Wagman Sponsors Food Drive & Sculpture Contest and Donates Over 2,700 Pounds of Food to Local Charities
- Wagman Construction Promotes Morrow to General Superintendent
- Wagman Receives Safety Award from Virginia Transportation Construction Alliance
- In the Neighborhood: Wagman and Warehaus Selected to Create New Upper School for York Academy
- Wagman Receives Two Awards for Garden State Parkway Project
- Wagman Participates in National Construction Safety Week
- Wagman Receives Honorable Mention for I-95 Latex Project
- Wagman and HHHunt Celebrate Groundbreaking at Spring Arbor of Crofton
- Wagman Completes Transformation at Franklin & Marshall College
- Wagman Employees Recognized at Annual Safety Awards Banquet
- Wagman “Goes Orange” to Support National Work Zone Safety
- Wagman Hires Greg Peitz as Drilled Shaft Manager
- Davis to Lead Wagman’s Special Projects Group
- Wagman Recognized with Three More Awards for I-95 Latex Modified Concrete Project
- Wagman Completes Base Lodge Expansion at Whitetail Resort