May 4, 2017
Wagman Completes Transformation at Franklin & Marshall College
(York, PA ) Wagman Construction has completed the renovation of the former Appel Infirmary at Franklin & Marshall College (F&M) in Lancaster, Pa. The building, totaling 9,830 square feet, was transformed into Harwood Commons — in recognition of an enabling gift by F&M alumnus Brett Harwood '71 — and became the new home for the college's Office of Student and Post-Graduate Development, as well as the Ware Institute for Civic Engagement. The building previously housed F&M's health and counseling services which moved across campus in June 2016.
This new space reflects F&M’s continuing commitment to improving the student experience, a key component of the college’s strategic plan. The project included the complete interior renovation of the first floor and the lower level of the building, new mechanical infrastructure, new windows, ADA compliant and gender neutral restrooms, an elevator, and an outdoor loggia. The building, originally constructed in 1958, now incorporates items such as a video conferencing system to provide students modern tools for job and graduate school interviews.
With a goal of renewing the building for the next 40 years, additional features of Harwood Commons include sustainable elements such as LED lighting, hand dryers in the restrooms, and Green Label Plus Certified Carpet. Materials removed during the demolition process were recycled.
Located at the heart F&M’s active campus, work required managing tight site logistics, protecting adjacent buildings, and maintaining a safe and secure site for students. The project included protecting several heritage trees throughout construction.
Wagman is a multi-faceted construction firm with major operations in heavy civil, general construction, and geotechnical construction services. Founded in 1902, Wagman is a fourth generation, family-owned company with offices in Pennsylvania and Virginia and is headquartered in York, PA. As a full service general contractor, Wagman Construction facilitates growth and development in senior living, healthcare, higher education, urban, institutional and industrial markets in central Pennsylvania, Virginia & Maryland. For more information about Wagman, please visit www.wagman.com
For media inquiries please contact Lisa Wagman Glezer 717.577.4252
- Wagman Breaks Ground on Landmark Project for York Academy
- Wagman Construction Builds Innovative Penn State Health Outpatient Facility
- Wagman Sponsors Food Drive & Sculpture Contest and Donates Over 2,700 Pounds of Food to Local Charities
- Wagman Construction Promotes Morrow to General Superintendent
- Wagman Receives Safety Award from Virginia Transportation Construction Alliance
- In the Neighborhood: Wagman and Warehaus Selected to Create New Upper School for York Academy
- Wagman Receives Two Awards for Garden State Parkway Project
- Wagman Participates in National Construction Safety Week
- Wagman Receives Honorable Mention for I-95 Latex Project
- Wagman and HHHunt Celebrate Groundbreaking at Spring Arbor of Crofton
- Wagman Completes Transformation at Franklin & Marshall College
- Wagman Employees Recognized at Annual Safety Awards Banquet
- Wagman “Goes Orange” to Support National Work Zone Safety
- Wagman Hires Greg Peitz as Drilled Shaft Manager
- Davis to Lead Wagman’s Special Projects Group
- Wagman Recognized with Three More Awards for I-95 Latex Modified Concrete Project
- Wagman Completes Base Lodge Expansion at Whitetail Resort