Wagman Completes Transformation at Franklin & Marshall College
May 4, 2017 by Amy Collins
May 4, 2017
(York, PA ) Wagman Construction has completed the renovation of the former Appel Infirmary at Franklin & Marshall College (F&M) in Lancaster, Pa. The building, totaling 9,830 square feet, was transformed into Harwood Commons — in recognition of an enabling gift by F&M alumnus Brett Harwood '71 — and became the new home for the college's Office of Student and Post-Graduate Development, as well as the Ware Institute for Civic Engagement. The building previously housed F&M's health and counseling services which moved across campus in June 2016.
This new space reflects F&M’s continuing commitment to improving the student experience, a key component of the college’s strategic plan. The project included the complete interior renovation of the first floor and the lower level of the building, new mechanical infrastructure, new windows, ADA compliant and gender neutral restrooms, an elevator, and an outdoor loggia. The building, originally constructed in 1958, now incorporates items such as a video conferencing system to provide students modern tools for job and graduate school interviews.
With a goal of renewing the building for the next 40 years, additional features of Harwood Commons include sustainable elements such as LED lighting, hand dryers in the restrooms, and Green Label Plus Certified Carpet. Materials removed during the demolition process were recycled.
Located at the heart F&M’s active campus, work required managing tight site logistics, protecting adjacent buildings, and maintaining a safe and secure site for students. The project included protecting several heritage trees throughout construction.
Wagman is a multi-faceted construction firm with major operations in heavy civil, general construction, and geotechnical construction services. Founded in 1902, Wagman is a fourth generation, family-owned company with offices in Pennsylvania and Virginia and is headquartered in York, PA. As a full service general contractor, Wagman Construction facilitates growth and development in senior living, healthcare, higher education, urban, institutional and industrial markets in central Pennsylvania, Virginia & Maryland. For more information about Wagman, please visit www.wagman.com
For media inquiries please contact Alyssa Girouard 717.767.8347
- Wagman Honored as Winner of Contractor Safety Award at VTCA
- Dickinson College’s Kline Fitness Center Receives LEED Gold Certification
- Wagman Construction, Inc. Welcomes Shane Groff as BIM Engineer
- Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc. Receives HCCA Excellence in Infrastructure Award for Route 7 Virginia Project
- Wagman Construction, Inc. Receives Platinum STEP Award from ABC Keystone
- Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc. Awarded Contract for Battlefield Parkway Project
- Wagman Completes Transformation of New 1741 Club at PeoplesBank Park
- Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc. Welcomes Gerry Hargis as Senior Construction Manager
- Wagman Construction, Inc. Welcomes Joe Corson as Director of Business Development for Maryland
- Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc. Project Awarded for Engineering Excellence
- Wagman’s Berryville, VA Office Receives United Way Gold Award
- Wagman Construction, Inc. Presents First Subcontractor Award
- Wagman Welcomes Stephanie Kennedy, SPHR as Vice President of Human Resources
- Wagman Celebrates Construction Plans for Claymont Regional Transportation Center
- Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc. Recognized with Three Awards for MD 404 Project
- Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc. Awarded Contract for Claymont Regional Transportation Center