Wagman Completes Transformation at Franklin & Marshall College
May 4, 2017 by Amy Collins
May 4, 2017
(York, PA ) Wagman Construction has completed the renovation of the former Appel Infirmary at Franklin & Marshall College (F&M) in Lancaster, Pa. The building, totaling 9,830 square feet, was transformed into Harwood Commons — in recognition of an enabling gift by F&M alumnus Brett Harwood '71 — and became the new home for the college's Office of Student and Post-Graduate Development, as well as the Ware Institute for Civic Engagement. The building previously housed F&M's health and counseling services which moved across campus in June 2016.
This new space reflects F&M’s continuing commitment to improving the student experience, a key component of the college’s strategic plan. The project included the complete interior renovation of the first floor and the lower level of the building, new mechanical infrastructure, new windows, ADA compliant and gender neutral restrooms, an elevator, and an outdoor loggia. The building, originally constructed in 1958, now incorporates items such as a video conferencing system to provide students modern tools for job and graduate school interviews.
With a goal of renewing the building for the next 40 years, additional features of Harwood Commons include sustainable elements such as LED lighting, hand dryers in the restrooms, and Green Label Plus Certified Carpet. Materials removed during the demolition process were recycled.
Located at the heart F&M’s active campus, work required managing tight site logistics, protecting adjacent buildings, and maintaining a safe and secure site for students. The project included protecting several heritage trees throughout construction.
Wagman is a multi-faceted construction firm with major operations in heavy civil, general construction, and geotechnical construction services. Founded in 1902, Wagman is a fourth generation, family-owned company with offices in Pennsylvania and Virginia and is headquartered in York, PA. As a full service general contractor, Wagman Construction facilitates growth and development in senior living, healthcare, higher education, urban, institutional and industrial markets in central Pennsylvania, Virginia & Maryland. For more information about Wagman, please visit www.wagman.com
For media inquiries please contact Lisa Wagman Glezer 717.577.4252
- Wagman’s Vice President / General Counsel Named 2018 NUCA PA Associate of the Year
- Wagman Hosts Annual Summer Version of “Take Your Child to Work Day”
- Wagman Construction, Inc. Strengthens Team with Strategic Promotions and New Hires
- Wagman Construction has completed construction of the new York Academy Upper School
- Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc. Attends Groundbreaking for Rappahannock River Crossing Project
- Wagman Sponsors Food Drive & Sculpture Contest and Donates Over 3,000 Pounds of Food to Local Charities
- Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc. Completes Odd Fellows Road Interchange
- Michael J. Konieczka named President / COO of Wagman Construction, Inc.
- Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc. Awarded Contract for Rappahannock River Crossing
- Wagman welcomes Jody Keller and Dwight Weibel to outside Board of Directors