Wagman Breaks Ground on Landmark Project for York Academy
September 13, 2017 by Amy Collins
September 13, 2017
(York, PA ) Wagman Construction, in conjunction with York Academy, held a groundbreaking ceremony on Friday, September 8, 2017, marking the start of construction on the new York Academy Upper School. Wagman is serving as York Academy’s construction manager for the project.
Located at 2 West Hamilton Avenue in York, Pa., the 65,000 square foot school will be in a gateway position at the city’s edge and be one of the first things people heading south will see as they enter the city on North George Street. It is slated to be open for the 2018-19 school year.
York Academy CEO Dennis Baughman and York Academy students joined members of the school’s board, local dignitaries, and project team members for the groundbreaking ceremony and reception celebrating the start of construction. A significant milestone for the York Academy, the project is part of school’s plan to offer grades 8 through 12 by 2022. The academy opened in 2011 with kindergarten through second grade and has added a grade each year.
The new facility, designed by York-based Warehaus, will offer structured, yet flexible spaces designed to promote the shift from teacher-centered instruction to pupil-centered learning. It will maximize shared spaces and provide a configurable learning environment to support various methods of curriculum delivery while meeting student needs and learning preferences.
Five academic houses that surround a common group learning area are at the core of the design, each offering three unique classroom settings for flexible and varied instruction. Included in the building will be art rooms, a makerspace, a blackbox theater, a dining area with outdoor patio, and a gymnasium.
Wagman is a multi-faceted construction firm with major operations in heavy civil, general construction, and geotechnical construction services. Founded in 1902, Wagman is a fourth generation, family-owned company with offices in Pennsylvania and Virginia and is headquartered in York, Pa. As a full service general contractor, Wagman Construction facilitates growth and development in senior living, healthcare, higher education, urban, institutional and industrial markets in central Pennsylvania, Virginia & Maryland. For more information about Wagman, please visit www.wagman.com
For media inquiries please contact Lisa Wagman Glezer 717.577.4252
- Wagman Breaks Ground on York Revolution 1741 Club
- Wagman’s Vice President / General Counsel Named 2018 NUCA PA Associate of the Year
- Wagman Hosts Annual Summer Version of “Take Your Child to Work Day”
- Wagman Construction, Inc. Strengthens Team with Strategic Promotions and New Hires
- Wagman Construction has completed construction of the new York Academy Upper School
- Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc. Attends Groundbreaking for Rappahannock River Crossing Project
- Wagman Sponsors Food Drive & Sculpture Contest and Donates Over 3,000 Pounds of Food to Local Charities
- Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc. Completes Odd Fellows Road Interchange
- Michael J. Konieczka named President / COO of Wagman Construction, Inc.
- Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc. Awarded Contract for Rappahannock River Crossing
- Wagman welcomes Jody Keller and Dwight Weibel to outside Board of Directors